Please take note: We strongly encourage you to READ the blog post in its entirety and to follow the suggested links. We cannot offer any individual assistance via the comment thread or other social media outlets. ALL the information you need for a successful application can be found in the blog post and the relevant pages on the website of the Teaching Affairs and Student Services.
How to get started
It is not easy to give a concrete answer as the eligibility to study at our University varies greatly depending on whether you are a citizen of the European Union or of another country. It also depends on the degree programme you are interested in. Please read this blog post CAREFULLY and keep in mind that we cannot guide you via social media!
Also keep in mind that the processing of international applications will take at least 12 weeks. Unfortunately this often collides with the duration of visa applications, which results in missed deadlines. For students who already fulfil the language requirements, we therefore recommend to apply at latest by JULY 15th!
Generally, we recommend the website of Teaching Affairs and Student Services, which should always be your first point of contact for all questions regarding admission to the University of Vienna.
To make things easier for you, we have collected FAQs for international applicants wishing to study at our University. An additional 5 step guide to applying at the university can be found here.
1. What programmes can I study at the University of Vienna?
All degree programmes (bachelor, master, PhD/doctorate) at the University of Vienna can be found here.
Note: The University of Vienna does not offer medical programmes (Medicine, Dentistry). These are offered at the Medical University of Vienna.
2. How do I apply for a specific programme?
- Information on how to apply for bachelor’s programmes can be found here.
- For master’s programmes check out this page.
- PhD and doctoral programme requirements are here.
Follow the respective links for the programme you are interested in. There you’ll find information on the different documents necessary for application as well as requirements depending on your citizenship (EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA).
An overview of information for applicants with school leaving certificates from non-EU/EEA countries can be found here.
How to deal with agencies offering to process your application:
The University of Vienna does not cooperate with agencies, who offer to process students’ applications and does not have any cooperation agreements (except for exchange programmes such as Erasmus+). If you are interested in studying at the University of Vienna, you have to personally apply for admission. If you apply for admission as a non-EU/EEA citizen or without EU/EEA secondary school-leaving certificate/higher education degree, you will receive a “Zulassungsbescheid” (official notice of admission). With this document, you can apply for a student visa. Please consult the responsible Austrian representation (embassy/consulate) to find out if you have to meet any further requirements. Since the University of Vienna does not cooperate with agencies, we recommend using their services only after careful consideration.
Please keep in mind that for some programmes the number of study places is limited and if you are interested in studying them you have to take an entrance examination. There might be entrance examinations for bachelor’s, master’s and PhD/doctoral programmes. You can find all information on the entrance examination, the application as well as all deadlines here.
3. Do I need to be able to speak German if I want to study at the University of Vienna?
- All bachelor’s programmes require require your proficiency in German. It is necessary to upload a recognized language certificate (at least level A2) in your application for all degree programmes held in German, even if you want to improve your German skills afterwards. Read this blogpost with the most important facts about the proof of German knowledge carefully.
- For further information on how and where to gain your German language proficiency follow this link.
- Some master’s programmes are offered in English.
- In case of PhD/doctoral programmes the Directorate of Studies (Studienprogrammleitung) decides whether the programme is provided in German or English.
4. How much are the tuition fees?
The tuition fee depends on your nationality. Apart from the tuition fee, you will also need to pay the students’ union fee including insurance (€ 19.70 per semester for the academic year 2018/19).
Read more about the amount of the tuition fees here.
The University of Vienna itself does not offer any wide ranged funding options. Our University grants achievement scholarship to students already studying at the University of Vienna. More information regarding this matter can be found here (Information available only in German).
5. How can I finance my studies in Vienna/Austria?
Whether or not you are allowed to work in Austria depends on your nationality, the kind of employment you would like to obtain and – for citizens of non-EU/EEA countries – also on your residence permit.
Please read here more about working in Austria.
Some general information about studying and living in Vienna can be found here.
6. I cannot find what I am looking for, please help me!
Make sure that the University of Vienna is actually able to provide you with this information. For example: If you are looking for a programme that we do not offer, we cannot inform you on this programme’s application procedure (e.g. Medicine).
Please read all information on the webpages thoroughly before you contact the responsible organisation’s staff. Use the search function on the Teaching Affairs and Student Services website. If you do not get the information you are looking for, please use the respective contact form. There is generally a high volume of inquiries, especially short before deadlines and you may have to be patient.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you soon as a student at the University of Vienna. :)
🚨 More blogposts 🚨
Have a look at the blogposts about the application & admission process at the University of Vienna:
- 5 easy steps to admission
- FAQs about required language skills, supplementary exams & accepted language certificates
Any questions about starting your studies?
- “10 things I wish I had known before starting university”
- FAQs about starting your studies in summer semester
- Who can help me with…? Services for Studying and Living
💡Follow this link for general information about studying at the University of Vienna studying.univie.ac.at.