How can I make good use of the semester breaks to progress in my studies, get to know international students and learn about projects from top researchers? The University of Vienna offers diverse and interesting further education opportunities with its univie: summer/winter schools programme. Larissa Lippert from the International Office summarized the most important things to know.
What are univie: summer/winter schools?
The univie: summer/winter schools are short programmes that reflect the diverse learning opportunities at the University of Vienna. They rage from social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and specialized programmes aim at doctoral candidates to summer intensive language courses.
These courses are scheduled for the semester breaks (February, summer months) in Vienna or any other places in Austria or abroad and primarily aim at international and Austrian students who are currently studying towards a master’s or doctoral degree.
Since 2014 the University of Vienna has been awarding the univie: summer/winter schools label to summer/winter school initiatives that have gone through an evaluation process. The University awarded this quality label to the following summer/winter schools in 2015. Thus far, the following summer/winter schools have been accredited:
- univie: winter school for cultural-historical studies “The Discovery of Modernity – Vienna around 1900”
- univie: summer school – Scientific World Conceptions 2015 “The Computational Turn. Simulation in Science”
- univie: summer school for Basic Aerosol Science
- univie: summer school for International and European Studies
- univie: summer school for Russian-German Language Tandem in Nischnij-Nowgorod
- univie: summer school for Jewish History in the Holy Roman Empire and its Successor States
- univie: summer school for Numismatics for Doctoral Candidates
- univie: summer school für Editions- und Regestentechnik
- univie: summer school for Drug Design
Good to know
The univie: summer/winter schools participants can obtain up to 18 ECTS credits depending on the scope of the summer school. Besides the University of Vienna grants scholarships to univie: summer/winter schools participants. Students of the University of Vienna and of partner universities are exempt from participation fees, read here more.
In 2014 more than 500 participants from more than 50 different nationalities attended the univie: summer/winter schools.
Alexander Rinkenburger completed successfully the univie: summer school for Basic Aerosol Science and shared his experiences in our blog.
How can I participate?
Who is behind all this? :)
The univie: summer/winter schools team comprises an administrator in the International Office (Mrs Larissa Lippert) and the contact persons of the individual summer/winter schools.